Hartsfield-Jackson offers tips to make Thanksgiving travel a breeze
Airport officials prepare passengers for smooth holiday travel.
ATLANTA – Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport officials announced travel tips to help passengers navigate through the Airport during the eight-day holiday travel period from November 19 to November 26.
“Hartsfield-Jackson is ready to welcome and serve our customers this holiday season,” said Aviation General Manager Louis Miller. “This year, passengers will notice major investments made to improve our concourses, parking facilities and concessions areas. We also have a large, dedicated team of professionals ready to answer questions and help travelers reach their final destinations.”
Advance travel bookings indicate that the busiest travel days during the holiday period will be the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after the holiday.
“We understand that customers have a choice when deciding where to connect or to originate and end their flights,” Miller said. “We are pleased to know that, for millions of travelers, their journeys will include Hartsfield-Jackson.”
The following tips will make travel through the Airport smoother:
1. Remember that the Maynard H. Jackson Jr. International Terminal has an entrance separate from the domestic terminal. The international terminal entrance is accessible from Interstate 75 at Exit 239.
2. If you are traveling outside the United States, check in at the international terminal. If you have a connecting flight that stops first in a U.S. city, though, you need to check in at the domestic terminal. Please consult your airline for specific check-in requirements.
3. If you are traveling internationally but parked at the domestic terminal, you can take a free shuttle to the international terminal. Shuttles are available at the ground transportation center at the west end of the domestic terminal.
4. Arrive 90 minutes before domestic flights and two hours before international flights.
5. Check security wait times online at www.atlanta-airport.com, or sign up for Trak-a-Line to have real-time checkpoint wait times sent to email accounts or mobile devices.
6. Follow the Transportation Security Administration’s 3-1-1 rule for carry-ons: 3.4-ounce (100 ml) bottle or less (by volume); one quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; one bag per passenger placed in the screening bin.
7. Call 1-877-ATL-PARK or visit the Airport’s website www.atlanta-airport.com for information about parking availability.
8. The cell phone lot is open! Motorists who are picking up passengers at the domestic terminal can wait for free in the 160-space lot along South Terminal Parkway at the east end of the Park-Ride Reserve lot.
9. Thanks Again! rewards program allows passengers to earn miles when parking, shopping and dining at Hartsfield-Jackson. Sign up at www.thanksagain.com/atl or text FLYATL to 82257 or scan the barcode visible throughout the Airport. It is FREE to register and takes only a few minutes to enroll.
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
Hartsfield-Jackson is the world’s busiest airport, serving more than 92 million passengers annually with nonstop service to 160 U.S. destinations and nearly 70 international destinations in more than 45 countries. The Airport is a frequent recipient of awards of excellence for concessions, operations, architectural engineering and construction - including the 2011 Global and North American Airport Efficiency Excellence Award from the Air Transport Research Society (for more information, go to www.atrsworld.org).
It is undergoing $6 billion-plus in capital improvements, which include a new, energy-efficient rental car center; a new, 12-gate international terminal (for more information, go to
www.atlanta-airport.com/internationalterminal/;and aesthetic and functional upgrades to its concourses, people movers and parking services. For more information, go to www.atlanta-airport.com. Check out the Airport’s YouTube
channel by visiting
http://www.youtube.com/AtlantaHartsfield, and become a fan on Facebook.