in the news
Thanksgiving marks the start of one of the busiest travel seasons of the year, and 2011 was no exception. In fact, holiday travel numbers this year were even higher than last year, and the heavy volume was covered extensively by local and national media.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, WABE 90.1 FM, WSB Radio, WGCL-TV Channel 46, WXIA-TV Channel 11, WAGA-TV Channel 5 (not available online) all advised travelers to expect a busy scene at Hartsfield-Jackson during the Thanksgiving period.
Yet, despite the high numbers of travelers, many media reported that the lines moved quickly and that passengers were upbeat and cool-headed. CNN, WABE 90.1 FM, WXIA-TV Channel 11 and the Associated Press (also carried in video form by The Washington Post) all reported short lines for security and a sense of calm among the passengers.
In other news:
- A SaportaReport blog on October 25 outlined Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed’s vision for expanding Hartsfield-Jackson’s cargo operation.
- Airlines’ and new plane models’ debuts at Hartsfield-Jackson received coverage from local media. The inaugural flight by Qatar Airways on November 3 was covered by WXIA-TV Channel 11 and WAGA-TV Channel 5 (not available online). The first Boeing 747-8F to arrive in Atlanta on November 10 was reported by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, GlobalAtlanta and Clayton News Daily.
- A November 22 event to dedicate the Airport’s welcome-home banners for U.S. troops was covered by WSB-TV Channel 2 (not available online), WXIA-TV Channel 11 (not available online), the Associated Press (appearing in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer on November 22) and the Henry Daily Herald. Another event to support the troops — a fund-raiser for the Airport Interfaith Chapel, which serves military personnel who pass through the Airport — was reported by the Newnan Times-Herald on November 8.
- Google Maps’ inclusion of an interior map on its application for Android users was reported by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on November 29 and on WXIA-TV Channel 11’s Hapeville community site.
- WXIA-TV Channel 11’s Riverdale community site on November 3 covered the Airport’s involvement in a work-based learning seminar for local students.
- Creative Loafing’s November 23 special section of reasons to love living in Atlanta included a feature on the many pluses of going to Hartsfield-Jackson, particularly One Flew South and the extensive collection of public art.